Diary Penelitian PhD

Online diary ini untuk mendokumenkan kegiatan penelitian saya. Maeskipun ide ini terlambat diimplementasikan tetapi saya berharap ini akan bermanfaat dan efektif untuk kerja-kerja penelitian saya selanjutnya

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Reading about Thesis (Part 2)

See the link: Taking stop of where you are

It's good from time to time to stop and think where you are.

This is even more true if you don't feel absolutely on top of your work. You may think everything is under control but you could still be anxious about time passing, or you could feel snowed under. You could be stuck at some point. Even worse, you could feel unmotivated and fed up with everything. Before you can do something about it, you need to pinpoint the major source of frustration.

let me try to answer these questions below.

Where am I now in the process of doing a PhD?

I am focusing on Chapter Discussion. Ihave written some drafts and I have many materials in my free writing to reconsider. I need to carefully read and think then decide what is the most important points to discuss, why and so what?

What is going well?
What is going well, that I have rich data. I have very good cases, presented in Chapter results. having this contrasting cases is very special, enabling me to reveal some important ideas. I am also lucky to have these cases that help me to generate some strong arguments about the implication of my study in Indonesian context. I think, theses cases are also invaluable in drawing implications theoretically and practically.

What presents problems or concerns?
My concern now is a style of writing. I must learn this style because I need it, not only for the completion of my theses but also for my guture, for my career. I need this skill to be able to involve in the community of International researcher in mathematics education. I think, this is my opportunity and I do not know if I have similar opportunity in the future.

What did I do well in my previous work that got me to this point or through a difficult PhD stage?
Willingness, motivation, hard working, and good heart feeling. There was not step that I could achive easily. All stages I achieved from the hard working and with the support of my supervisors. My supervisors are still there and ready to support me in the right time. My supervisors were happy on my progress. maintain my performance. I must maintain my hard work. I must confidence that I have capacity to do a better and better work. Sitti, you must be strong. You can do it and you can finish in the right time.

Can I build on this, or do I need new skills or a different approach?
I need to extend my analytical approach to encourage a wider vision or a greater depth. I need new skills. I can build this skill by reading more and learning the style of writing. I love the style of Borko. Her writing are good for me.

Have I become stuck at one stage? What keeps me there? What do I need to do to move on?
I was stuck several times and I have solutions such as: email my supervisors, reading, printing my work and binding them, talk to someone, crying, and so on.

What made move on sometimes, by reading, or free writing, or talking to someone. Sometimes, I had a break then back to my work, or sometimes I read some other staff or reading about methodology. There is non strict recipee for me. It really depends on my mood. But the most important that I had efforts to solve the problems. Sometimes I made something wrong that complianing too much to my family [husband or children], or being angry or stress.

After this, you could end up with an action plan:

  • you will know what you need to do;

  • you can then decide how you are going to do this;

  • what other resources or skills you need;

  • and what is the most important next step.
YES, I know what to do.
- Keep reviewing my my writing
- Posing questions, what important points
- Still reading some good writing to develop inner ability to write.
- Free writing and free writing to clarify my ideas. Remember that draft is draft, free. Wrong or silly, no worries. I found many times that free writing helped to move forward.

I think, this time to go home now [7.12pm]. Library SSH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home